Airbnb could help make you thousands from letting your home temporarily. But before you sign up to become a Host, you need to ensure you’re properly protected in case things go wrong.
Here we’ll run through what Hosts are covered for - as well as what they’re not covered for - plus explain our insurance product, Portico Host Cover.
Are You Covered?
If you rent out your flat on Airbnb and something goes wrong, you’d think you’re covered by your home insurance, or Airbnb’s Host Guarantee, right?
Although both options do offer some level of protection, Hosts certainly can’t claim for everything, and theft and accidental damage is excluded from most policies.
Though cases of damage are extremely rare, it’s still advisable to have the correct cover in place.
That’s why we decided to partner with insurance specialists, GUARDHOG, to offer all our clients complete peace of mind.
Portico Host Cover
Portico Host Cover is a specialist insurance which covers Airbnb Hosts while they have paying guests in their home.
Essentially, the cover will be added onto your existing contents and buildings cover to cover any claims relating to paying guests’ stays. Hosts will be protected with a huge £1.2m public liability insurance cover, which protects against injury, theft and damage. If you're interested in taking up Portico Host Cover, one of our Airbnb Account Managers will talk you through all the details.
This service is completely free as part of our Comprehensive (20% + VAT) and Concierge packages (30% + VAT).
It’s simple and easy to make a claim with Portico Host Cover; your Airbnb Account Manager will usually be the first to flag any signs of damage and you can make a claim quickly, rather than waiting on Airbnb.
Are You Eligible?
To be eligible for Portico Host Cover you must:
1. Have existing home insurance in place
2. Be able to answer the following statements truthfully:
- I have never been convicted of, or charged with, any offence other than motoring offences
- I have never been subject to a county court judgement (CCJ), a debt relief order (DRO), an individual voluntary arrangement (IVA) or to bankruptcy proceedings
- I have never had insurance cancelled, refused or declined or had any special terms imposed
- I have not made more than 1 insurance claims in the past 5 years.
3. Please contact GUARDHOG if your Home:
- Is worth more than £4.5m
- Is a Listed Building
- Has a swimming pool
- Has a ‘feature’ worth over £50,000 such as a fireplace, or fishtank
- Has any item, pair or set worth over £15,000 such as a painting or chandelier
If you’d like to find out more about our Airbnb Management service or Portico Host Cover, or if you’d like to sign up, give one of our Airbnb Account Managers a call on 0207 099 4000.