Extending from Queen Square to Millman Street and most probably named after James Butler, the Royalist commander in Ireland, created Duke of Ormonde at the Restoration. Several early 18th-century houses remain with their original attractive, typically Georgian style architecture. The east end of the south side was built in 1720 and carefully restored in 1980. John Howard, the prison reformer, lived at No. 23 from 1777 until his death in 1790. The north side from Lamb's Conduit Street to Queen Square is taken up by the Hospital for Sick Children and the Royal London Homeopathic Hospital.
The part east of Lamb’s Conduit Street, originally known as New Ormond Street, was developed in 1710–1720.
In the eighteenth century the street was “a very desirable address, the sizeable houses on its north side having had very long gardens backing onto open country” Its early residents also included the Foundling Hospital’s chief physician, Richard Mead, and the Lord Chancellor Lord Thurlow lived there in 1784. However, its houses were built to differing standards and styles by different builders, and some of them had become dangerously unsafe structures by the middle of the twentieth century; nos 9–15 were partly demolished in 1974. No. 49 (old number) was the house formerly occupied by Richard Mead; it was rented by Charles West in 1852 as the first home of the Hospital for Sick Children (Great Ormond Street Hospital). At the time, the street was not an entirely healthy environment: on 16 February 1852, when the Hospital for Sick Children was just opening at no. 49, a 22-year-old emigration agent died of typhus at no. 30, his disease said by the Registrar to have been caused by “foul air arising from the drains of the house”. Despite this, another hospital soon joined the Hospital for Sick Children; nos 45–46 (old number) became the Catholic Hospital of SS John and Elizabeth, founded in 1856 by Cardinal Wiseman, next to the Catholic Church of St John of Jerusalem. In 1859 the Royal London Homœopathic Hospital moved from Golden Square to the three houses at the end of Ormond Street next to Queen Square. Nos 55–57 were where William Morris founded the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings in 1877. In the 1880s Ormond Street and New Ormond Street were merged as Great Ormond Street and the houses renumbered and in 1893–1895 the Royal London Homœopathic Hospital replaced the original houses with a new purpose-built hospital. The Hospital for Sick Children continued to expand, both rebuilding on its existing site and extending its ownership of property to the south side of the street. The name “Great Ormond Street” came to be synonymous with the Hospital.
Meet the Team