** Offers in excess of £ 375,000 **. This two double bedroom ground floor maisonette is located in one of the most desirable locations in Forest Gate, the Woodgrange Estate. The flat has its own entrance plus garden which can also be accessed from the side. Spacious lounge and separate fitted modern kitchen. The property has been recently refurbished. Permission and planning to extend further to convert from a two bedroom to a three bedroom flat. Long lease in excess of 900 years. Located close to all local amenities and Forest Gate BR which is on the proposed Cross rail route. Offered chain free.
The origins of the estate, itself, however begin in 1877, when Thomas Corbett purchased Woodgrange Farm and part of Hamfirth Wood from the Gurney family (prominent Quakers and bankers to whom we, again, will return in future) for £44,000.
The land, at the time, was a market garden, on which stood a solitary home - Woodgrange Manor House, with its outbuildings, which could be dated back to 1594.
Between 1877 and 1892 Corbett and his sons oversaw the construction of more than 1,160 houses on the land. It was a perfect site for commuters, being served by the Forest Gate train station, built by the Eastern Counties Railway company, in 1839. The population of Forest Gate at the time construction started was less than 5,000 - by the time it was finished it was about ten times that size.
During World War II, the south west corner of the estate was badly damaged by aerial bombing (about which, more in future episodes!), with houses in Windsor and Claremont Roads having to be demolished and cleared. They were replaced in the 1950s by council houses and flats. The Woodgrange Estate was designated a conservation area by Newham Council in 1976.